Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Armstrong: Crash & Burn! Erased from memory!

The verdict is in.  UCI and the Tour de France have confirmed the judgment of USADA that Lance Armstrong is guilty, not only of using drugs and doping for himself, but also of being the ringleader of a massive team-wide drugs/doping conspiracy.  He is banned for life from cycling competitions, and stripped of most of his lifetime race results, including all seven of his Tour de France victories.  Pat McQuaid, the head of UCI is quoted as saying, "Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling.  He deserves to be forgotten."

In the past, I have refrained from taking a position.  Even now, I do not have any first-hand knowledge.  But, if I were on a jury, looking at the evidence that has been published, I would vote to convict.  I believe the evidence shows beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty.

He has forfeited any claim upon my respect through (1) a long pattern of cheating, (2) the arrogance of his lying, and (3) especially his bullying and betrayal of his friends and those whom he should have been mentoring. 

I don't really have any tears for Mr. Armstrong.  But it broke my sports fan's heart to witness the downfall of Leipheimer, Hincapie, Zabriskie and others whom I respected and admired.  These latter riders have salvaged a measure of my respect by having the courage to finally speak out.  I have sympathy for them, and wish them well as they try to rebuild our trust in them and in the sport.  As for their fallen former leader, I feel a sense of disgust and betrayal similar to that experienced by a former mentor of mine:  My mentor was a U.S. federal judge, appointed by President Eisenhower (when Nixon was V.P.), and a staunch supporter of President Richard Nixon.  When the full details of Nixon's Watergate scandal emerged, and Nixon resigned in disgrace (under the threat of certain impeachment), the judge vowed that he "would never again utter that man's name!"

[No pictures.]

1 comment: